Monday, October 30, 2006
Work begins at Paddle Boats
Soon after arriving, it was time to start work. So we had orientation and training to go through, and even some admin stuff to settle, such as getting our social security (our ICs).
SO, I was to work at this place called Paddle Boats. I had no idea what that was beforehand, so it turned out to be Flamingo-paddled boats! Haha.. I didn't know to be happy or not, for it meant that I would be working near water and out in the sun most of the time. Not so pleasant for summertime in Orlando, Florida is it? But at least I have a nice view to look out to, not restricted by walls and such.


Okay, they only added this sign much later. We all just came to work as usual, and found it there one fine morning! Perhaps it's to tell people those are Flamingoes! Don't be surprised, cos I've heard people calling them swans, birds or what have you...

Basically, my job is to load and unload people from the boats, and while they're out on the lake, I have to keep a lookout to make sure they are properly seated and not breaking some safety rules. I heard from my co-worker, there had been cases of people dumping the life vest in the boat, and then climbing out of the boat onto the shore. Sometimes they get to close to the shorelines, they may get stuck too! Simply said, you can't do anything funny out there! Which makes the ride rather boring, unless your aim is to suntan. But in that squishy life vest, maybe you should think twice!

Sometimes, I may be allocated to the register stand instead, where I will then collect money for the boat ride and also give out life vests. I find that quite fun though -- having to match people with the right sizes. It takes some practice. Also, it's a challenge to make sure the register sales tally at the end of the day.

That's me! In my uniform. This was taken towards the end, when I already got really tanned. If I just life up the sleeves or the berms, you can see the tannlines on my arms and thighs. Not to forget, I have a sockline too!
I dropped by at 6:36 PM